Sunday, April 15, 2012

Do ONLY What Makes YOU Happy

Going into college I had my heart set on being a doctor. Looking back I'd have to say my main motivations were job security and the high salary. I worked so hard through advanced science and math classes and was burning out. I became so unhappy with my life and at one point had no motivation to attend classes. I wasn't failing and was actually pulling out A's and B's, but I knew I had to take a step back for a moment and make some adjustments. I could have sat in undergrad for two more years and struggled my way to a Micro & Molecular Biology degree then moved onto numerous years in graduate school. I think I even could have made it out passing my classes and earning my degrees. I may have become a doctor or physician's assistant one day and made the type of money I worked so hard in school for, but after careful consideration I gave it all up. I gave up the type of job security that comes with a career in the medical field. I gave up the almost guaranteed $70,000 + salary. I gave up the prestige of having an MD precede my name.

I did this all because I wasn't fully happy down to my core and deep inside my heart. I felt as though I didn't want to let people down because everyone seemed so ecstatic about me becoming a doctor. I had to just forget about what everyone else wanted and expected and choose a different avenue. One that was custom fit for me. I love to write, talk, give advice, be creative, and diffuse problems. My traits are best suited for a career in public relations and that is the path I am on now.

Don't ever let the fear of letting others down, giving up a high salary, or just simply changing things up get in the way of your future. You may not want to stick around another year taking undergrad courses because you're so close to graduating, but it's your whole life that you will be stuck with the decisions you make now.  What's an extra year in college if you can spend the rest of your life waking up to a job that doesn't feel like a job. When I find my niche in the public relations industry and wake up everyday excited to go to work, I'll know changing my major to something I'm deeply passionate about was the best decision I've ever made.

No comments:

Post a Comment