Sunday, April 15, 2012

Tackling the Cover Letter

Step 1: Resume 
Step 2: Social Media Overhaul 
Step 3: LinkedIn     (See my last 2 posts for steps 1-3) 


Step 4: The Cover Letter: 

You've created a resume and have purged your social media network. The next part may be the least exciting but it is required by many applications and, if not required, can be a great way to make your application stand out. Standing out is THE most important element to think about when applying for any job. You can stand out through your experience, the way you present yourself, or hopefully both. However, so many college students struggle to feel that their work experience is enough to be competitive. DON'T WORRY! Every position I have received, including my paid internship, I was not completely qualified for as far as "work experience" goes. I made sure I spoke with someone who was a decision maker in the company and sold myself as a product. Don't just settle for dropping off an application with an employee. Ask to set up an appointment with a hiring manager. Make the employer feel as though by not hiring you they are doing an injustice to the whole organization.

Anatomy of a Cover Letter:


  • Headings 
  • Greeting
  • Paragraph 1: 
    • State your intent
    • Background of experience 
      • Related is best 
      • If not, discuss how your experience or skills can relate. (The cover letter example I will give below shows how to tie in an unrelated job)
  • Paragraph 2:
    • Compliment the organization
    • More about you 
  • Conclusion 

Their are many online sites to help with phrasing statements and additional examples. I used a book called "Resumes That Knock 'em Dead" by Martin Yates. It gave great examples for all different types of cover letters and what type of wording worked best in certain situations.

 Here's my example that perfectly follows the "cover letter anatomy" (by the way, you'll see that you can form a professional cover letter without an ounce of directly related experience):


Brittany Szafran
Phone: 407-555-5555


February 22, 2012
Bob Smith -Senior Account Executive


Dear Mr. Smith,

I am very interested in the internship position presented during the presentation on social media tools in Professor Hobart’s class. I am a second year student at The University of Central Florida and employed as a Server and Server Trainer for a restaurant in Lake Mary. I have worked for this establishment for the past two years and have always been complimented and recognized by management for my hard work and professional attitude. This has led to my role as a trainer for new employees. I enjoy working with the public and building relationships with my customers. One of the most important elements of my position is creating lasting connections with the people I serve to draw them back into the store as regulars. I present top-notch customer service and strive to give my patrons an experience that is above and beyond the standard.    
I am eager to begin an internship for a company like yours and believe my abilities can contribute to your firm’s goals.  I have always valued my capability to connect and form relationships with people and believe my skills and talents are best suited for a position in the Communications field. My experience in public speaking and my research and writing skills qualify me for the internship position at your firm.  
Please find enclosed my resume showing my education, experience, and background. Thank you for your time and consideration. I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Sincerely, 


Brittany Szafran

No comments:

Post a Comment